Help...How do I sew this together? I often am asked if Sure-Fit Designs™ provides sewing instruction steps. Beginners using Sure-Fit Designs™ are particularly concerned that they might not know how to sew the garment together and what should happen first if they design the pattern themselves.
Even though Sure-Fit Designs™ is primarily a fitting and designing system, there are sewing construction steps provided for specific designs in the Dress, Pants, Shirt, Children’s kits and in the Men’s Instructional Package. This resource guide is posted as an article on the website - www.sfdLearningCenter.com, but I know some of you reading here don't typically go to the website for information.
So here’s where you’ll find the information and though construction illustrations are not always provided, the instructions tell you what to do and in what order.
- How to sew basic pants together is provided on page 11 of the Pants Kit Instruction book
- Sewing jeans is provided on page 23.
- Sewing an elastic waist is on page 24.
- Inserting a pocket opening (eliminates the need for a zipper and is extremely comfortable) is on page 25.
- Inserting an inseam pocket is on page 25.
- Sewing a zipper fly front is on page 27.
· Bodice sewing construction steps are found on the following video tutorials.
· General instructions for sewing the shirt are on page 13 of the Shirt Kit Instruction book.
· Sewing robes are found on page 17.
- General instructions for sewing elastic back pants are found on page 16 of the Children’s Kit Instruction book.
- How to insert a zipper fly front is on page 17.
- How to attach a bib to a waist edge is on page 18.
- General instructions for sewing a shirt/blouse are on page 20.
- Sewing a child’s cross-over shoulder T-shirt is on page 21.
- Sewing a hood on to a neck edge is found on page 22.
- How to sew a tab neckline treatment is on page 26.
- General skirt sewing instructions are on page 27.
- How to sew a tab front is found on page 29.
- How to sew children’s robes are on pages 30 & 31.
- How to sew a girl’s party dress is on page 32.
Men’s Instructional Package:
- General sewing construction steps for men’s pants is on page 10.
Additionally, all the newest Fashion Leaflets and book/DVD combinations provide fully illustrated sewing steps.
Newest downloadable leaflets:
Newest book/DVD combinations:
(Each book/DVD is designed specifically to go hand-in-hand with the SFD Pants Kit, Shirt Kit and Dress Kit.)
In an effort to give you sewing construction guidance, first analyze your current resources. Did you know all of this existed in the Sure-Fit Designs™ kits, patterns and leaflets?
Do you have a stockpile of existing commercial patterns? The sewing steps provided on the accompanying guide sheets provide an excellent source of instruction. Their pattern may not be exactly what you are wanting to sew, but if there is any similarity in design to what you are creating, their instructions can be a great resource.
Do you have any general sewing construction resource books? There are a number of comprehensive books available that not only provide construction techniques, but will also provide step-by-step procedures. My favorite is the Vogue Sewing Book. It’s a thick resource guide and well worth the investment.
What do you recommend as your favorite how-to sewing reference book?