Apr 4, 2012

My First Body Blueprint

I have completed my first personal pattern using the Sure-Fit Designs fitting system and now I am stepping back to examine and refine my fit.  As I make these comments, keep in mind that I am a very novice seamstress and don't have a lot of sewing experience.

 Judging on a scale of 1 - 10...1 being a horrible fitting garment to 10 an excellent exact perfect fit; I would say that the commercial patterns that I have been struggling with over the past five weeks to fit me are a 2.  And I would say that the clothes in my closet that I have purchased from various stores are a fit of 4. After examining my fit in the mirror I would grade my Sure-Fit Designs muslin bodice pattern as a 6.
A 6 is a vast improvement over anything that I have been wearing, but I want more. What alterations or refinements can I make to improve by personal pattern from a 6 to a 10 and how in the world do I do them?

After sleeping on it and several more trips to the mirror I can see that my muslin test piece is too large and when I think about it, I realize that when I chose my measurements for my bodice pattern, I automatically added two sizes because I am a plus size and thought I would need the extra ease.  And when I checked by bra cup size I discovered that instead of a C cup I was really an A-B cup!  And also I forgot to turn the Armscye Template upside down on the pattern back so my armscye curve on the back is upside down. (LOL)

I have been shaking my head at all the mistakes I made, but the exciting issue is that I have caught the mistakes and I have begun to re-draw my personal bodice with the right sizes and the right techniques.
It's back to the drawing board for me.

Dear Rebecca,  All things considered, and that your sewing experience is so limited, I think you've got an excellent start to a well-fitting bodice. I know that as you watch the How-to DVD, and follow along with all the exact steps shown, that you will no doubt end up with a satisfying bodice fit. Always keep in mind that I am here to help you either by phone, email or Skype.

Kindly, Glenda Sparling
info@surefitdesigns.com

No comments:

Post a Comment