May 20, 2014

Tying it all Together

Sometimes it's difficult for some of you to visualize taking an idea from 'here' and mixing it with an instruction from 'there', then adding a little something extra from 'where'. As so many of you know, the Sure-Fit Designs system is not just a fitting system. It also offers all kinds of written instructions and video information on not just fitting, but on designing with your body blueprint (sloper) once you have it completed.

For those of you who follow this Sure-Fit Designs blog, you know that the last few blogs have been on pocket types, applications and sewing technique. As I was preparing the sample photos on drawing and stitching the double welt pocket, I also happened to be at our local JoAnn's (and almost one and only fabric store in Eugene, Or) I came across this novelty stretch bottom weight. I loved it immediately and thought of pants with a welt pocket in the back.

Next step was tying it all together. What style of pants did I want? Since the fabric had about 3 - 4% Spandex, even though it was a woven fabric, I knew it would give when wearing. Skinny came to mind. Jeans came to mind. But I didn't want traditional jeans with the fly front and typical pockets. I wanted to show you the welt pocket.

Here's what I tied together:

My jeans pattern - since wearing ease had already been removed. (Jeans: Behind the Scenes on DVD)

Style #1 - Flared Leg Pants - Elasticized Waist edge from Pants that Mix n Multiply. Though I didn't want flared legs. I wanted skinny all the way to the hem. What I wanted was the side seam invisible zipper and the elastic turned over waist edge.

Blog instructions for the Double Welt Pocket (from last week).

Now for the finished photos:

The double welt pocket.


The invisible zipper and elastic waist edge.




The finished ensemble:

Brown/black leopard-skin patterned fabric for the pants. I guess they could have been tighter but considering I never wear anything skin tight they suited my preferences...and they're totally comfortable. The blouse and jacket is from the SFD Shirt Kit pattern. The blouse has a shawl collar. You'll find directions for this collar on page 44 of the Dress Kit Instruction book. The jacket has a lapel collar and is sewn from a cotton chintz. I love this classic jacket! I've worn it for years and it still looks fine. That's one thing about choosing classic designs - good, bad or boring... they go forever. Remember Chanel...the Chanel jacket...they're still selling it...and you're still sewing it. Yeah!!! for classic designs.
Kindly,
Glenda
PS. I'm going to sew another top for these pants.  I've got the fabric.  It's a really nice cool (colored) brown sport knit.  Now I just need to find the time!

Next installment...I found the time to design and sew the Asymmetrical Pleated T-Shirt from the SFD Shirt Kit.  The directions for this comfy T-Shirt are found in the downloadable Fashion LeafletsClick Here if you're interested.



7 comments:

  1. That outfit looks great on you Glenda. I still haven't had a crack at the pants kit. I do like that asymmetrical top. I'll give that a try soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leonie. Sometimes pant fabric can be disappointing - meaning once sewn up and worn, it wrinkles and gets 'knees' in it from sitting. This stretch woven is proving to be just the opposite. It's holding the shape well during wear, which is a nice surprise. The asymmetrical top can also be designed from the Dress Kit bodice. Just transfer the bust dart down into the waist-fitting dart....then draw in the asymmetrical pleating. This works well for fuller bustlines.
    Kindly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely outfit! I appreciate all the detailed photos, especially of the pants waistband. I've been thinking about trying that variation and it's nice to see what an example looks like on a real person. I picked up some turquoise stretch denim the other day and look forward to drafting a jeans pattern for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a great model for the clothes you design and sew, Glenda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi San, Thank you for your kind comments.
    Glenda...the Good Stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Glenda! That's really helpful info. You look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Sigrid...I'm glad this blog was of benefit for you. Keep an eye out. I'm going to start a page called 'Made in a Day'. Quite, simple projects to do with SFD.
    Kindly, Glenda...the Good Stitch!

    ReplyDelete