Sep 23, 2014

Cropped Leg Pants Continued

Remember last week I showed you the easy jeans-style inset pocket?  Well this week I must do a quick review of the seam down the center of the back pant leg.  Even though I typically don't put this seam down the back leg of my pants pattern, I decided to for these cropped leg pants.

This seam really can make a big difference to the fit.  For those of you with a flat butt or for the larger backside in relation to relatively thin legs, this seam is a life-saver!  Team that up with a horizontal fish-eye dart and you've got a winner.


Now...once the seam is down the center of the back pants leg, then I also incorporated a small horizontal fish-eye dart.

Here's a close-up.

I think you can see the seam a little better in this close-up.  The fabric has kind of a waffle-like texture and honestly, the seam just simply gets lost.

Once you've refined your personal pants blueprint to include this seam and the horizontal fish-eye dart, just use your pattern over and over again.  Two extra seams takes no time at all to sew.  Just change the style of waist edge treatment, the opening details, width of leg and finished length - they all will give you satisfaction.

I should mention that because this was a stretch-woven fabric, I chose to finish the waist with 2" (5 cm) wide elastic.  They are totally pull-on because the fabric had enough stretch to pull up over my hips.  Actually, this pattern is a combination of the yoga/travel/comfort pants from Pants that Mix n Multiply and the easy jeans-style inset pocket from your SFD Pants Kit instruction book.

Here's the video on how to draw the horizontal fish-eye dart in the back leg of your pants pattern.
It's not too long.  Please take a look if you haven't watched it before.

If you so choose, when you're sewing this center leg seam, leave a 4" or 5" slit/vent open at the hem level.  Yes, you are emphasizing the seam, but now the design all looks like an intended variation.

Have fun and enjoy the fit!

Kindly,
Glenda...the Good Stitch!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the video - I've always wondered how to do a fish eye dart.

    I really am going to have to pull your kit out one day - I just don't have time for it at the moment. I purchased it two years ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time and having enough of it is something we all struggle with. I found it best to plan ahead at least one day and visualize what you will do in the following day. Then of course, emergencies and unexpected things happen, and you have to deal with them. But it's always important to carve out time from your day to do what you really want to. We are all so busy all the time and not always productively or what we'd really like to be doing. Sometimes you just need to take the bull by the horns and say 'today is my time to do what I want'. I know that can be hard to do. I'm glad you're still carving out a little time to read the blogs and SFD newsletters.
    Kindly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete